Wonka CupcakesLess than 30 minutes preparation time 10-30 mins cooking time Makes 24 cakes Things you will need
- Scales for weighing ingredients
- Mixing bowls
- Small bowls
- A whisk, large spoon or food mixer
- Fairy cake cases
- Fairy cake tin
- 110g/4oz butter or margarine softened at room temperature
- 110g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g/40z self raising flour
- A dash of Sprite/7up (not essential)
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Dr Oetker gel food colouring (recommended to get the brightest colours)
- Wonka Nerds (any you choose) – Click the link to buy from us.
For the buttercream icing
- 110g/4oz butter softened at room temperature
- 170g/6oz icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 1-2 tbsp vanilla flavouring
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4 and line 2 x 12 hole fairy cake tins with cases
- Cream the butter and sugar together with a spoon, whisk or food mixer in the mixing bowl until pale. Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, and stir in the vanilla extract
- Pour in the Sprite/7up and mix.Fold in the flour, then add the milk. More may be needed to achieve a soft dropping consistency
- Separate the mixture as evenly as possible into bowls, based on how many different coloured gels you are choosing to use
- Squeeze the food colouring into each mix, I suggest you use a whole tube if you want it to be really bright!
- Also you could make your own colours in a separate bowl by mixing the gel colours together!
- Make sure when mixing the colour into each mixture that the whole mixture is coloured.
- Add each colour into the cake cases in layers, one on top of the other so that the cases are around half full
- Once all the cases are filled bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes
- When they are ready, set aside to cool for 10-15 minutes
- To make the icing beat the butter in a bowl until soft, add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth
- Add the rest of the icing sugar, vanilla flavouring, milk and beat until creamy (more milk may be needed to loosen the icing)
- Fill a piping bag with the buttercream mixture and squeeze onto each fairy cake after they have cooled
- Then add the bright coloured nerds to the icing!